Did I mention that they are super easy and even kind of healthy?
Yay for FALL!
Pumpkin Apple Cupcakes with Maple Cinnamon Frosting
1 medium apple (peeled, cored and diced)
1 boxed yellow, or white, or spice cake mix
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 1/3 cups water
1 16-ounce container cream cheese icing
2 tablespoons light maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave the apple pieces on high about 1 minute or until tender. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, pumpkin and water, then beat with an electric mixer on high speed 2 minutes. Fold in the cooked apple pieces.
4. Spoon the batter into prepared cupcake pan. Bake the cupcakes about 18 to 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
5. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, stir the cream cheese icing, maple syrup, and cinnamon until well blended. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting. Devour greedily.