I've been iching for an excuse to try these muffins and this morning was it.
They turned out fabulous! Like, can't-stop-eating-them-and-our-whole-house-smells-like-syrup delicious. I doubled the recipe to be sure I had enough for my entire Toastmasters Club, and a double recipe made 2 dozen regular muffins and one dozen mini muffins.
You simply must try this recipe.
French Toast Muffins
French Toast Topping
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg,slightly beaten
- 6 slices cinnamon bread, crusts trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 375°F
2. Combine all French toast topping ingredients in medium bowl; set aside,.
3. Combine 1 cup milk, melted butter, 1 egg and maple flavoring in another medium bowl. Combine all remaining muffin ingredients in large bowl. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture just until mixed.
4. Spoon batter into greased 12-cup muffin pan. Spoon French toast topping evenly over batter; press down slightly. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Immediately brush muffins with maple-flavored syrup. Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Sprinkle over glazed muffins. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan. Serve warm.